Two suspected suicide bombers front of a Catholic church blew themselves up. There are fourteen wounded people on the first day of the Easter Holy week, according to the country's national police.
According to the police’s report, the congregation has been inside the church on the island of Sulawesi when the explosion took place, the mass was about to end.
The national police spokesman Argo Yuwono said that the authorities were looking into into which radical networks the bombers came from and whether the attack was linked to recent arrests of suspected militants.
Father Wilhemus Tulak, a priest at the church, said that a suspected bomber tried to enter the church grounds on a motorbike, but had been stopped by a security guard.
The head of the country’s National Counterterrorism Agency, Boy Rafli Amar, described Sunday’s attack as an act of terrorism.
According to Makassar Mayor Danny Pomanto, the blast could have caused far more casualties if it had taken place at the church’s main gate instead of a side entrance.
Gomar Gultom, head of the Indonesian Council of Churches, described the attack as a “cruel incident” as Christians were celebrating Palm Sunday, and urged people to remain calm and trust the authorities.